The role of the Companion:
Is to look after the disabled child for the duration of the camp (24/7 for 4 days). They attend to all their needs which differ depending on the child but include: assistance with walking or with a wheelchair, toileting, showering, feeding, medical (under guidance of medical team), sleeping and participation in all the fantastic activities offered.
However most importantly they are there to make sure the child has an exciting and rewarding camp, an experience they would not usually encounter. Year 12 students (from the year of the camp who will have completed the HSC or IB that year) from SIC Riverview, Monte Sant’ Angelo, and Loreto Kirribilli are invited to apply for this role.
Selection Process – there are a number of steps in the selection process:
- Year Coordinators or Heads of House at the various schools will start displaying information about the camp in Term 3.
- You MUST attend the Information Evening –where you will learn about what is required from you, the dates you must be available (training dates are compulsory) and hear first hand from the previous years companions about the experience
- During the Information Evening you MUST register your contact details (this will be done electronically)
- Heads of House or Year Coordinators at the various schools are asked to give feedback of each student
- A large group of students will be offered interviews. These will be carried out by friendly, experienced Camp staff members
Questions will include: Why do you want to participate in the Ignatian Foundation Children’s Holiday Camp? What is your understanding of the role you have applied for?
All information is collated and students are informed about the success of their application
Important Dates for 2019
- Information Evening: Monday 5th August 2019 – 6.00 – 7.15pm in the Senior Library at Riverview.
- Applications Close: Friday 9th August 2019, this link will close https://forms.gle/Kg3M4d4Ym4c7vWq87
- Interviews offered: Tuesday 20th August 2019
- Interviews conducted: 3:45-6:00 pm, First & Second week of September – Saint Ignatius College, Riverview
- Companion role offers made: Prior to Term 3 break
- Working with Children Check numbers due to R Hoad by 13th November 2019
To prepare for the role of a companion looking after a disabled child there are a number of training days which are compulsory to attend. The training involves a range of activities and presentations including:
- Familiarisation with the profile of children attending the camp
- Research into the various conditions of the children
- Discussion of case studies of challenging situations
- Practical activities on such things as feeding or brushing teeth
- Behavioural management techniques
- Epilepsy education
- Physiotherapist demonstration on how to lift a person properly
- Maintaining hygiene and infection control
Training Dates for 2019
- Training: Tuesday 12th November – 4pm to 8pm
- Training: Tuesday 3rd December – 9am to 3.30pm
2a. Voluntary Wednesday Evening Set Up – 4pm – 7pm
- Camp: Thursday 5th December – Sunday 8th December (approx: 6pm)
Working With Children Check
For Companions and Volunteers over the age of 18 in December 2019, you will require a Working With Children’s Check to be completed if you are selected for the camp. Please see this link.